If you asked my direct family members or my closest friends, if they thought I was more of a positive person or a negative person…. The majority of them would tell you… without hesitation that I am a Negative Nancy.
When I was first starting my journey for personal growth, I dove head first into a sea of self help books. My dad had given me YOU ARE A BADASS by Jen Sincero for Christmas about a year ago. I finally decided to crack it open, after I graduated college, and had more time to actually read books that I wanted to read.
After reading YOU ARE A BADDASS, I started to realize how negative I was or had become. I also started to realize that the people around me were also extremely negative. Then… I realized I hate negativity… and negative people. So I have started to do everything in my power to become a more positive person.
Trying to be a positive person, when you are surrounded by a sea full of negative people is draining. I had to limit time with everyone, and slowly make my way back to the shore, on the island where people do not suck the life out of you. My options were drown in the negativity with everyone else, or live out a life I can actually enjoy.
The choice was an easy one to make. The hard part was killing the person I was or the person I had become. Reversing years of damage, years of bad influences, years of anger that was fueling my negativity, was not a walk in the park. I’d do well, then I’d get depressed, then I’d start to fall back down a rabbit hole where everything was just dark.
The worst part was feeling alone through the process. The best part was becoming a stronger and better person.
Signs that you are negative person
- You complain a lot ( I complained about everything)
- YOU DON’T ACCEPT COMPLIMENTS( Something that would bother me to my core)
- You are a pessimist (automatically thinking the worst of all situations)
- You opt out of going to fun things ( because god forbid something terrible happens when you are there)
- You have a hard time maintaining relationships
- You are told you are draining (people stop wanting to be around you-or feel like they are walking on egg shells)
- You have a million problems, but no solutions, because you don’t care to fix the problem you just want to complain about it.
Ways to stop being a negative person
- Identify things you contribute to the problem ( stop one upping people with your misery)
- Start coming up with solutions.
- Start practicing gratitude
- Start appreciating the lights in your life that get you through the day
- Start nourishing the relationships you have left
- Understand that misery loves company(its better to be alone, and working on yourself than surrounded with energy sucking wolves. You won’t be alone long just trust me).
- Adopt some positive affirmations
- Recognize the moment you have a negative thought.
- Meditate to promote self awareness
- Eat healthy
- Practice self-care
The road is long, but so worth it. You don’t want to stay bitter your whole life. You want the most out of your life, so worry less and live more. A positive mindset will get you farther than you think!